I only have one or two recipes for carrot cake that I like and trust, but this delicious and easy to make Pistachio Carrot Cake recipe is a real winner and one I’m most likely going to turn to in the future when I’m in the mood for a slice of carroty goodness.
This Pistachio Carrot Cake is spongy, moist and full of flavour thanks to the array of spices, sugars and nuts found it in. I found this recipe online and then tweaked it a bit here and there to suit my pantry and pallet and it came out so nicely.
It’s an easy recipe to whip through, so if you give it a try please do let me know, I’d love to hear if you enjoyed it 🙂
If you are more of a chocolate cake fan, then you have to try my Chocolate and Cinnamon Lamingtons, they’re pretty awesome!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup vegetable/canola oil
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 and 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup full cream yoghurt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped – You can also use pecan nuts or almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans by spraying them with Spray and Cook and lining the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, until well-combined then set aside.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, yoghurt, and vanilla essence until well combined. Then add the grated carrots and pistachios and give it a good stir.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just combined, making sure not to over mix the batter.
5. Pour the cake batter into the cake tins, I use a scale to make sure that my layers are even. Bake at 180°C for 30-35 minutes or a toothpick inserted into the middle of each one comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pans on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Once the cakes have cooled, remove them from their pans and return to them to the wire rack to cool completely.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- 250 grams of medium fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 120 grams unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand-held mixer (or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment) beat the cream cheese until nice and smooth.
- Add the butter and mix for about a 1 minute until well combined.
- Add in the icing sugar, vanilla essence and salt and continue mixing until fully combined, don’t forget to scrape down the sides halfway through.
- Level the top of one half of the cake with a serrated knife, I used a bread knife. Place that layer on a cake stand/plate and top it with a generous dollop of icing, before smoothing it out into one even layer.
- Place the other layer on top and use the remaining icing to cover the top and sides of the cake. Top with chopped up nuts and cinnamon.