Are you a fan of pecan nut pie and what about vanilla cupcakes? If you have answered yes to both these questions then say hello to these Upside-down Pecan Nut Honey Cupcakes.
Picture if you will, a sticky, nutty, honey and cinnamon topping sitting on top a fluffy vanilla cupcake. They are a bit of a twist on a classic pecan nut tart, but a twist I’m ready to embrace with open arms.
This recipe is easy to follow and doesn’t require too many ingredients. The mixture below if made in a standard 12-hole cupcake tin will yield 12 perfect little Upside-down Pecan Nut Honey Cupcakes. These little buggers are pretty addictive and may or may not become a new favourite in your house. They have in ours 🙂
If you’d like to try some of my other recipes just click here or below.
INGREDIENTS for Upside-down Pecan Nut Honey Cupcakes: (Makes 12)
· 115 grams unsalted butter at room temp
· 3 tablespoons honey
· 1/3 cup brown sugar
· 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
· 1 and a 1/4 cups or 160 grams flour
· 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb)
· 1 cup sugar
· 2 eggs
· 1/2 cup cooking/canola oil
· 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
· 1/2 cup full cream yoghurt
· ± 3/4 of a cup of coarsely chopped pecan nuts.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C (if fan-assisted) 160°C if not. Spray and Cook your cupcake tin and then line the bottom of them with cut-out rounds of baking paper, this will help the pecan nut topping stay on the cake. You can also use cupcake liners if you have.
- In a small pot or pan add the butter, honey, brown sugar and cinnamon and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until everything, but especially the sugar has melted. It will take a little while, so don’t worry. Just make sure you keep stirring it so it doesn’t burn. Once done set aside in the pot.
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and glossy, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding the oil and vanilla essence. Mix until combined.
- Add the full cream yoghurt and give it another quick mix.
- Pop the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl and then very quickly give it a mix (with your electric mixer) until nice and smooth. Do not overbeat the batter.
- At this point, your honey and sugar syrup may have become a bit thick, just pop it back on the heat for a couple of minutes until it loosens up.
- Place about a tablespoon of syrup in the bottom of each cupcake hole. Then spoon about a tablespoon or so of chopped pean nuts onto the syrup, make sure to spread them out.
- Fill each one with batter. Fill them just over 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Mine took 20 minutes to cook. They should have a slight golden brown top and if you insert a toothpick into the middle it should come out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes for a couple of minutes in the pan before turning them out.
- Carefully run a butter knife around the edges of the cupcakes to loosen them from the side of the pan.
- Place a wire rack or a wooden board on top of your cupcake pan and then gently flip it over so they come out.
- Take the paper circles off the top, if any of your pecan nuts have stuck to the paper just pull them off and place then back on top of the cupcake.
- You can serve them hot or cold, just as they are or with a dollop of whipped cream or ice-cream.
- Enjoy 🙂