Caramel Popcorn with speckled eggs and sprinkles, yes that is what I attempted to make yesterday in time for the Easter weekend. This super colourful but also super sweet treat is really good, but also really indulgent, I reckon a whole bowl of this might make you feel sugar-dizzy haha! I’m a huge fan of speckled eggs, in fact, I think whoever invented them needs a bronze statue erected in their honour and I also love popcorn, so I thought hey let’s combine the two and chuck in some caramel for good measure to make something fun to snack on.
I have never made caramel popcorn before, this was my first attempt and I followed the recipe to a tee but I think next time around I’m going to let the sugar and butter cook for a tad longer before I add in the bi-carb. I don’t have a sugar thermometer so I was going by the time recommended in the recipe, but I reckon it could have done with one or two more minutes of boiling time, it felt like my caramel could have been a bit darker in colour.
If you have a failproof caramel popcorn recipe you’d like to share, please send me a mail. I always love using recipes that come straight from someone I know or cyber-know 🙂
And if you are going away for this long weekend, be safe and enjoy! Happy Easter everyone!
· 10 cups of popped popcorn (I just used a box of microwave popcorn, it was more than enough).
· 1 cup butter
· 1 cup light brown sugar
· 2 x teaspoons of vanilla essence
· 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
· As many speckled eggs as you like
- Melt the cup of butter over a medium heat in a medium-sized pot.
- Add the cup of brown sugar and stir until properly mixed.
- Stirring continuously bring the sugar and butter mixture up to a boil on a medium heat. When it reaches a boil allow it to cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat without stirring. (this is where I would add on a couple of minutes).
- At the four-minute mark add your vanilla essence and give it a quick stir.
- When the 5 minutes (7 minutes) are up add in your baking soda, this will cause the caramel to foam up a bit and change colour.
- Drizzle your caramel mixture over your popcorn and give it a quick stir that all the popcorn is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle the popcorn with sprinkles and stir again.
- Pour the popcorn out onto a baking tray to dry.
- Once set scatter as many speckled eggs as your heart desires into your caramel and sprinkles popcorn.
- Prepare for a good old sugar-rush.