Did you know that today is Mac and Cheese Day! In our house, we are big into this dish and my go-to-recipe is one of my families all-time favourites, Triple Mac and Cheese! Is it the same in your house? 🙂
I’ve actually developed this super easy recipe over time, but I feel like it’s perfect now and definitely one that will land up in my handwritten cookbook that I’ll be passing onto my kiddos. (Shane’s mom did this for her kids when they left home, love the idea). I’m going to call it ‘Shut Your Face Because My Mom’s Mac and Cheese is Better Than Your Mom’s Mac and Cheese”. The title I will admit may need a bit more development from my side haha!
I’m bringing you this recipe together with the folks from Rediscover Dairy who shared some interesting facts with me, that I thought I’d in turn share with you 🙂
*This easy mid-week dinner is nutritious as it contains about 60 grams of cheese per serving. Cheese is a good source of calcium, protein & phosphorus; 3 nutrients particularly important to help build and maintain healthy bones. In all its many varieties, cheese deserves its place as a healthy food item in your family’s diet.
Here are a couple of other ideas/recipes for dinner, if you’d like 🙂
INGREDIENTS for Triple Mac and Cheese: 6 servings
100g salted butter
±750ml full cream milk
1.5 cup grated mild cheddar
1 cup grated white mature cheddar
1/3 cup parmesan
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 cup mild cheddar (as a topping)
1 small packet Sour Cream & Chives chips – crushed
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Bring a big pot of water to a boil. Season well with salt. Cook your pasta according to the packaging.
2. Whilst your pasta is cooking you can start your triple cheese sauce. In a large saucepan on a med-high heat add the butter, allow it to melt then add the flour. Whisk the two together & cook for about a min. Should form a smooth paste.
3. Pour in the milk & cook the sauce for a few mins more, whisking the entire time with a hand whisk. Your sauce should be smooth & quite thick. If it’s too thick add a bit more milk, but just remember you want it to look like a sauce, not a soup.
4. Remove the pan from the heat, add your cheddar, white cheddar & parmesan, give it a good stir until all the cheese has melted.
5. Add the paprika, mustard powder, season with salt & ground pepper. Set aside.
6. Once your pasta is done drain it then return it to the pot, pour about 3/4 of your cheese sauce into it and give it a good stir.
9. Pop your Mac and Cheese into an ovenproof dish. Pour the remaining cheese sauce on top of the pasta & smooth it out, make sure you cover the whole surface.
10. In a small bowl decanter the packet of chips & crush them using your hand. Mix a half cup of grated cheddar cheese into the chips. Sprinkle this on top of your Mac and Cheese. Pop it in the oven for about 20 mins or until the top is golden brown. Enjoy!