Banana bread, seems simple enough to make, but I have been through my fair share of banana bread recipes and I have come out the other side not that excited with the end results. That is until I got my hands on The World’s Best Banana Bread Recipe Ever.
It comes from my Aunt Sophie who lives in Zimbabwe and it has never failed me, in fact, I don’t think I’ve ever baked or tasted a better banana bread. Her particular recipe calls for the bananas to soak in boiling water and baking soda for a couple of minutes and I’m convinced that this step makes this cake what it is, which is soft and amazingly flavoursome.
And here’s the bonus part, it’s super easy to make! It all goes in one bowl and within an hour you’ll be sitting on your couch softly whispering sweet nothings to your third slice!
Here is what you’re going to need.
If banana bread isn’t your jam, why not try out one of my chocolate cake recipes 🙂
INGREDIENTS for the Best Banana Bread Recipe Ever:
· 125 grams butter (room temp)
· 1 cup sugar
· 2 eggs
· 2 cups flour
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 5/6 ripe bananas – depending on the size, mine were quite small
· 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
· 1/4 cup boiling water
· 1 cup chopped pecan nuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (if not fan-assisted, 160°C) and Spray and Cook a 9×5-inch loaf tin. You can also make Banana Muffins with this mixture.
- Mash up the bananas in a bowl.
- In a teacup mix the bicarb and the boiling water together and then pour over the mashed up bananas. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, give it about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time. Mix well after each addition.
- Tip in the flour and baking powder and keep mixing. Do not overmix the batter.
- Add your banana mixture and nuts to the other ingredients and give it a quick mix with a spatula or electric beater, again make sure you don’t overbeat it.
- Pour your cake batter into your prepared tin, about 3/4 of the way up and bake for 35- 45 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a knife comes out clean when stuck in the middle. If you are making muffins, fill the muffin tin compartments up 3/4 of the way and then back them for about 22 minutes, after that time check the muffins by also inserting a knife in the middle of one, if it comes out clean you’re good to go, if not give them a couple more minutes.
- Get some tracksuit pants on and start eating.