So when I say that this is the Best Coffee Cake In Town, I mean it! My mom, who is a huge coffee cake fan gave it to me a couple of years ago and I have never looked back! It’s really simple to make and doesn’t require a lot of pantry items, which as far as I’m concerned is the best kind of cake.
The recipe yields a sponge that is super light and airy, my favourite kind and icing that contains just the right amount of sweetness. Plus, it combines two of the worlds greatest things, cake and coffee all in one beautiful round package.
You will see that this recipe requires a fair amount of eggs, which are what gives it it’s amazingly light texture, no butter or oil and very little of everything else so it totally balances out 🙂
I hope that some of you give it a try and more importantly like it. Like always let me know if you do try it, would love to see it.
If you would prefer something with no coffee, check out some of my other recipes.
The World’s Best Banana Bread Recipe Ever. (Yup, I’m claiming that)
Ingredients for the Best Coffee Cake In Town:
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 heaped teaspoons of instant coffee dissolved in a bit of hot water – for the batter. You can also use a strong double shot of espresso.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE COFFEE ICING?
- 120 grams unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon coffee diluted in a very tiny amount of hot water. Or a shot of espresso.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and prepare two standard-sized cake tins.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites. Set the whites aside for now.
- Using a whisk (not an electric one) beat the egg yolks and sugar together until the mixture doubles in volume (more or less) and you see bubbles forming.
- Pour in the coffee and stir gently.
- Using a spatula fold in the flour and baking powder until mixed together.
- Beat the eggs whites with an electric mixer until stiff then gently fold them into the batter.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 2 prepared standard-sized cake tins (I spray mine with Spray and Cook and add a round of baking paper to the bottom, but if you don’t have any baking paper it’s totally fine just Spray and Cook it ).
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, depending on your oven. I have a fan assisted oven so my cakes bake quicker.
- Set the sponges aside to cool completely before icing.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer combine the icing sugar, butter, vanilla essence and coffee. Mix on high until smooth, if you find the icing a bit too thick, add a little milk to loosen it up, not TOO much otherwise it’ll become sloppy.
- Place one of the layers on a plate. Dollop about 2 tablespoons or so into the middle and spread it out. Place the other layer on top and ice the rest of the cake using a pallet/butter knife. I don’t like covering this cake in too much icing because I feel like it doesn’t need it. Enjoy!