I’m a huge fan of doughnuts. I love them dipped in chocolate, sprinkled in cinnamon and sugar, covered in glaze, jam-filled. Well, you get the picture, I love doughnuts. But to make them is a bit of a mission sometimes, especially the frying part. So every now and then it’s nice to make a batch of no-fuss Easy Baked Chocolate Doughnuts.
Now some might say that baked doughnuts are not technically doughnuts and I get where you are coming from, the texture of a baked doughnut is different to that that of a fried one, they are a bit more on the cake side of life, but still equally delicious and welcome in my house any day of the week!
Below is a quick recipe for these Easy Baked Chocolate Doughnuts covered in a smooth chocolate and cream glaze. They’re soft and chocolatey with a hint of cinnamon and almond. Yum! And don’t worry if you don’t have a doughnut tin, you can make your own. I have included a link below on how to make one. I bought my doughnut tin a few years ago and I’m happy I did, it’s quite fun to make these little guys and the best part is the toppings and ways on how to decorate them are endless!
If you’d like to try out some of my other recipes just click here, there are lots to choose from 🙂
If you’d also like to make traditional fried doughnuts, here are two recipes you can try.
INGREDIENTS: Makes 12 doughnuts
- 1 cup or 140g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup or 25g cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup or 100g brown sugar
- 140 MLS full cream milk
- 2 tablespoons or 30g melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond essence
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100 grams semi-sweet chocolate or 70% dark chocolate – I did a mix of the two
- 4 tablespoons normal cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Chopped pecans or sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C if fan-assisted). Spray and Cook your doughnut tin. You can also make your own doughnut tin by using an ordinary cupcake tin and tinfoil. Just click here to see how to do it 🙂
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg with the sugar until combined then add the milk, melted butter, almond essence and vanilla essence, whisk.
- Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and mix until just combined. The batter will be quite thick.
- Using a spoon or a piping bag fitted with a big round nozzle fill your doughnut tin with batter, you can fill each one ¾ of the way up. You can also use a large ziplock bag to pipe out the mixture. Just fill it, seal it and then cut one of the corners open to push the mixture out.
- Bake for ±10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the doughnuts comes out clean. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes in the tin before removing the doughnuts and popping them on a wire rack to cool completely before glazing.
DIRECTIONS OF HOW TO MAKE THE GLAZE:
- Melt the chocolate, cream and butter gently in a heat-resistant bowl over a pot of simmering water. You can also melt everything in the microwave, just make sure you don’t burn it. Try melting it in 30-sec bursts.
- Dip the tops of the doughnuts into the chocolate glaze, and place on a cooling rack to set. You can also add some chopped nuts or sprinkles 🙂