It’s July, it’s cold, it’s soup time! Today I’m going to share my mom’s recipe for her Traditional Greek Meatball Soup that she used to make me when I was a kid.
My mom got it from her mom and now I’m so happy to be able to share it with you guys, she actually made it for me the other day and that’s when so I thought I’d shoot it for my site.
It’s a simple dish, but one that is so delicious and packed full of memories for me and I really hope that you try it and enjoy it as much as I always have.
The greek name for this soup is Youvarlakia, if you want to unleash some Greek on your dinner table before serving it 🙂
· 500 grams mince beef
· 1 large finely chopped onion
· 3 tablespoons uncooked white rice
· 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
· 550mls beef/chicken stock
·Salt and pepper to taste
· 1 egg white lightly beaten
EGG SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
· 4 eggs
· 4 tablespoons lemon juice
· 2 cups of cooked broth from above
- Place all the ingredients, minus the ones for the egg sauce together in a bowl. Using your hand’s mix well.
- Start rolling out meatballs about the size of a walnut.
- Roll them individually lightly in flour and set aside on a tray.
- Bring the 550 MLS stock to a boil in a pot.
- Carefully add the meatballs to the stock as not to break them.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove, take 2 cups of the liquid out to make the lemon sauce.
- In a separate bowl beat the 4 eggs with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the lemon juice whilst still beating.
- Gradually add the two cups of stock while you continue mixing it.
- Then add this sauce to the pot with the remaining stock and meatballs. Make sure your pot is not on the stove when adding this sauce.
- And you’re done! Enjoy.