Today is Shane’s birthday and I know how much he loves banana bread, so I finally got to bake the peanut butter banana bread I blogged about the other day and I’m really happy to say that he came out brilliantly! It was the right colour, it was moist and there was just the right combination of banana and peanut butter. I left the peanuts, flaxseed meal and ground allspice out of the recipe, because I didn’t have any of these things, but it still came out super nice.
This is the first time ever that I would be proud enough to take my banana bread to a bake sale. Thank you Joy for giving me some banana bread cred.
Makes: one 9×5-inch loaf. I copy pasted this recipe from Joy the Baker and she adapted it from CookingLight.
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup plain or vanilla fat free yogurt
1/3 cup creamy all-natural peanut butter
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Place a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, flaxseed meal, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and ground allspice.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, yogurt, peanut butter and melted butter. Whisk in eggs and sugars. Blend mixture until no sugar lumps remain.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the larger bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold together with a spatula until no more flour bits remain. Fold in the chopped nuts as well. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and cake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before running a butter knife along the edges of the pan and inverting the bread onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Here are some of the things I bought Shane for his birthday. If you are looking for some nice presents for your male loved one, I would check out Feiyue’s new line of sneakers. They have some damn cool styles floating around. I got Shane the leather wool felt pair above and if they came in semi-midget size (size 4) I totally would of nabbed a pair for myself too. I also got him a very nice green sweater from Country Road and some t-shirts, because a man can never have too many t-shirts – I’m sure that is part of an ancient wise saying from the 90’s or something.