Do any of you remember when your grannies slash aunts had bonbon dishes on their coffee tables in their formal lounges and when houses used to have two lounges, a casual and a formal one? They always had delicious sweeties in them and I hate the fact that you never actually come across them anymore, makes me kind of sad…Nicole and I were chatting about it the other day and so we thought that we would try making some handmade chocolate bonbons of our own in honour of that old tradition, let me rephrase that, handmade Double Chocolate and Orange Bonbons.
These bite-sized treats were dark, rich and really decadent and the fact that they have a nice pop of dark orange chocolate in the center makes you feel like you’ve hit the sweet jackpot everytime you eat one! I loved making them, it was so therapeutic and then individually wrapping each one made them feel even more special.
These double chocolate balls of awesome are dairy free and 100% tasty! This recipe made about 18 bonbons all together which didn’t even last 2 days they were so good!
We would love to hear if you make them, so be sure to let us know. And if you have missed any of our other recipes in this Vegan series all you have to do is click here. Enjoy.
° 150 grams Nomu cocoa powder
° 120 mls honey
° 4 x Tbsp coconut oil melted
° 2 x tsp vanilla essence
° 3 x Tbsp water
° A pinch of salt
° Bar of Vegan dark orange chocolate – We used Gayleen’s Decadence – so good!
° Extra cocoa to dust the bonbons
- To make the chocolate just add all the ingredients (minus the orange chocolate) into a small bowl and stir well with a wooden spoon until it’s nice and smooth.
- We used 3 Tbsp of water but if you find that the mixture is too dry then just add a bit more, but just a little at a time. Just keep in mind that you want the mixture to be quite thick so you can roll it nicely into bonbons.
- Chop up half a bar of orange chocolate, or whatever you would like the filling to be, perhaps a mint chocolate or some pistachios. Whatever takes your fancy.
- Take about a Tbsp of mixture roll it into a ball and then make a hole in the middle with your index finger. Add a small amount of chopped up orange chocolate, then reform the ball.
- Place it on a piece of greaseproof paper on a baking tray.
- Once you’ve made all your bonbons, dust them lightly with cocoa.
- Then shake the dish slightly so that the bonbons become evenly coated.
- Cut squares out of bake proof paper that are about 13cm x 13cm. Place the chocolate in the middle of the square and then fold the paper over and twist either end like a sweet.