A few days ago Anna-Belle and I had a small Christmas lunch at my house for a couple of our friends. It was so much fun dressing the dinning room up and spending some good time in the kitchen making food and just hanging out slash taste testing everything along the way while sipping on champagne, you know the way the professional cooks do on TV.
Woolworths sent us a bunch of mystery ingredients and so we put our heads together and came up with a easy and delicious menu which began with a starter of trio trout mousse with salmon, prawns and coriander, followed by the main which was a mixed wild mushroom, spinach, red and yellow pepper, sun dried tomato feta and gorgonzola pie and a grilled pesto line fish with sautéd rainbow kale, roasted potatoes and mixed carrots. The mixed carrots were amazing, especially the purple ones they really added some nice colour to the table. For dessert we had phyllo pastry parcels with Nutella and crushed fortune cookie filling and giant suckers, which none of us could finish. How the blazers do you get through one of those things?! I think only a 5 year old can answer that question.
We also got to decorate the dinning room table with a bunch of pretty things thanks to In Good Company. If you guys haven’t been to this shop, then I seriously suggest you change that. It’s full of all sorts of stuff that will make you want to literally swipe your credit card till you can’t swipe it anymore. Trust me. I think my favourite thing that we got from them were the D.I.Y reindeer crackers below, which I was almost too sad to use because they are so awesome. Do you know that feeling?
Here are some photos of our lunch and the vegetable pie recipe is right at the bottom of this post if you want to try it out. It was really nice and easy to make and the flavours worked really well together.
Vegetable pie recipe:
1 x bag baby spinach
1 x pack exotic mixed mushrooms
1 x pack button mushrooms
200g feta with sun dried tomato and basil
1 x yellow pepper, 1 x red pepper
1 x box of puff pastry
1 x beaten egg white
1. Preheat the oven to 180°
2. Steam the baby spinach and then roughly chop.
3. Slice and then sauté all the mushrooms in some salted butter.
4. Chop up the peppers then fry them in some butter, season with salt and pepper.
5. Mix all the vegetables together in a big bowl and then crumble the feta and gorgonzola into the mixture, give it a stir. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. Roll out the pastry onto a floured surface, then use half of it to line a pie dish which should be baked for about 10 minutes, until slightly brown. Then take the dish out add the vegetable/cheese mixture and cover with the remaining pastry. Poke a few holes in the top with a sharp knife before white washing the top with a beaten egg white.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Eat eat eat.