Say hello to these light and fluffy Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Icing. If you let them, they’ll be your new friends who do nothing but make you abundantly happy. This recipe is easy to follow and yields the softest, yummiest cupcakes topped with icing made from smooth white chocolate and magic 🙂
A couple of tips, which I have included below, but will mention here too. Make sure all your ingredients, like the butter, eggs and buttermilk are at room temperature and when you’re filling your cupcake liners do not go over the halfway line!
The frosting for these cupcakes is also super simple to make. So if you’re into smooth, vanilla-ery white chocolate icing, then I’ve got you covered.
You can also give these Dark Chocolate and Vanilla Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Icing a whirl if you like 🙂
INGREDIENTS for these Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Icing: Makes ±15 cupcakes
- – 150 grams or 1 cup all-purpose flour
- – 200 grams or 1 cup white sugar
- – 65 grams or 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- – 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- – 1 teaspoon baking powder
- – 1/4 teaspoon salt
- – 1 egg at room temperature
- – 1/2 cup buttermilk at room temperature – if you don’t have buttermilk then just mix half a cup of milk with a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar and let it sit for 5 mins.
- – 1/2 cup canola oil
- – 1 and a half teaspoons vanilla essence
- – 1/2 cup of hot water
- Heat oven to 180°C and then line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder & salt together, mix using a fork.
- In another bowl or jug whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil & vanilla essence.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix using a handheld mixer or a Kitchen Aid with the paddle attachment.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of your bowl then add the hot water to the batter slowly and mix it again on a low speed. Your batter will be thin, but that’s how it should be.
- Using a tablespoon fill your cupcake liners halfway up (no more than that), then bake for ±18 minutes or a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow them to cool completely before icing them.
INGREDIENTS for the White Chocolate Vanilla Icing:
– 100 grams white chocolate – I used White Lindt Chocolate
– 140 grams unsalted butter at room temperature
– 100 grams icing sugar (sifted)
- A couple of drops of vanilla bean paste – I bought some at Woolies, this step is optional, if you don’t have it just leave it out 🙂
1. In a bowl beat the butter and icing sugar together until smooth and creamy using an electric mixer.
2. In a separate bowl melt the white chocolate either over a pot of simmering water or in the microwave a little bit at a time. Allow to cool slightly before using or else it’ll melt the butter mixture.
3. Add the melted chocolate into the butter/icing sugar and start mixing it immediately with an electric beater, beat until glossy and smooth. Stir in the vanilla bean paste.