What if I said, hey guys I have a really easy recipe for you that will make delicious Vegan, sugar-free Chocolate Mousse using only three ingredients, just grab yourself a tin of chickpeas, a slab of raw chocolate and maple syrup and Bob’s your Uncle… who is probably as confused as I was when I first read this recipe! Ummm chickpeas what now?! It was at this point that I looked at Nicole, my Vegan baking partner in crime and thought, chickpea chocolate mousse sounds like a terrible idea, how the hell do I get out of this kitchen without her noticing?!
Buuuut once again, I was proven wrong! We followed the really quick and simple recipe below which calls for the juice from one tin of chickpeas as the main ingredient and we set out to make this Vegan dessert. We followed the instructions to a T and believe it or not at the end of it we had an actual chocolate mousse, granted it tasted a little different to any other chocolate mousse I’ve had in the past, but the airiness what there and so was the natural sweetness, not to mention the fact that it was a mousse that wasn’t actually bad for you!
I definitely want to hear if any of you have made or tried an Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse before and once again if you do attempt it I’d love to hear how it turns out!
· 1 cup of aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
· 1 cup (120grams) chopped dark, vegan chocolate (we used a naturally sweetened chocolate)
· 2 tbsp maple syrup
1. Melt your chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a shallow pot of simmering water (make sure you don’t get any water in the bowl if you’re doing it on the stove).
2. Leave the chocolate to cool.
3. Add the maple syrup to the aquafaba (chickpea juice from the tin) until you get fluffy white peaks just like you would get from egg whites if you were making meringues.
4. Gently fold in the chocolate mixture with a spatula, making sure not to beat all the air out of the whisked aquafaba.
5. Pour the chocolatey mixture into bowls and place in the fridge for at least an one hour to set.
6. Decorate with chopped nuts if you like.