Chocolate fondant cupcakes, just what your stretchy pants ordered.
On Monday I attempted to make The Hummingbird Bakery’s chocolate fondant cupcake. Do I hear you asking what chocolate fondant cupcakes are? How does this sound, they are cupcakes that are so chocolatey that your face will never know where the chocolate starts and where it ends – so they are chocolate cupcakes that have a chocolate cream filled centre and chocolate cream icing on top. They are rich, but you won’t care one bit when you’re stuffing your pie hole with them because they are super delicious.
Here is the recipe, try them out and let me know if they came out nicely and if your heart manages to surge through the chocolate overload.
*Any seasoned chocolate lover shouldn’t have a problem.
For the sponge:
· 80g unsalted butter
· 280g caster sugar
· 200g plain flour
· 40g cocoa powder
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1 tbsp baking powder
· 2 large
· 240ml whole milk
For the filling and frosting:
· 400g dark chocolate, finely chopped,plus 50g extra to decorate (optional)
· 400ml double cream
Preheat the oven to 190C and line a 12 hole cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
1. Using a hand held electric whisk, mix together the butter, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Mix until sandy in consistency and no large lumps of butter remain
2. Mix the eggs and milk together in a jug by hand. Pour three quarters of the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. When all the liquid is incorporated scrape any dry ingredients from the side of the bowl and add the remaining milk. Mix on a medium speed until you have a smooth and even batter.
3. Spoon into the cupcake cases until they are two thirds full, then bake for 18-20 minutes until well risen and springy. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
4. For the filling place the finely chopped chocolate in a bowl. Heat the cream until nearly boiling then pour over the chocolate and stir until melted. Stir until smooth then cover with cling film and set aside to cool.
5. Place the cooled cupcakes on a board and hollow out the centre with a sharp knife, cutting out a piece about 2cm in diamter and 3cm long. Set aside the cut out pieces and using a teaspoon or piping bag, fill the hollow of each cupcake half full with the chocolate cream filling. Place the cut out pieces of sponge on top so they fit like a lid then swirl the chocolate cream icing over that. And there you have it, chocolate fondant cupcakes.